Sunday, 10 February 2013

Wordles, Windows and Inserts

I had a leaving card to make for a colleague and I'd just bought one of the Spellbinder D-Lites ™.  Putting two and two together - I got to play with my new toy and have a card ready for a friend.  The Medallion One die is in two parts - the fancy middle and the scalloped outline.  You can make a fancy hole in a big space, a large-scalloped hole or combine the two and make a scalloped medallion.  Unfortunately, you can't fit three in line in a "tall" card.  Still, one in the middle is good.
I cut the medallion into the middle of my card and the outline into a spare piece of card; I then embossed the spare card and fixed it on the card (there are too many "card"s in that sentence, but I'm sure you get what I mean).  A few flowers up one side and a greeting tag the other and all I had to do was decide what to do with the middle.  With a hole in the card, I needed an insert, not least so you couldn't see my abysmal handwriting where I was going to write my greeting.  A plain insert would be lost, a subtle colour would show through, but be a bit boring - I might as well just stick a piece of cardstock behind the card so ...
For the card liner, I used a website called Wordle - it takes a bunch of text and arranges the words with words used more often being larger than words not used as much (a bit like a tag cloud for anyone who knows, but the words can be vertical as well as horizontal.  As it doesn't remember the text you put in, it's worth creating your text in Notepad or similar and copy/pasting it into the web app.  I put in the name of the friend, repeated many times, and variations on "goodbye" and "thank you" with fewer repeats and then played around with the options until I got to a Wordle I liked.  I then printed it to a pdf so I could put it on the liner of my card so the words peep through the medallion.